Investment Plan 2022/2023
Kia ūkaipō anō ngā reo o Te Tai Tonga!
- Understanding – increasing our understanding and awareness about language revitalisation throughout Te Tai Tonga.
- Engagement – engaging our people in language revitalisation throughout Te Tai Tonga.
- Collaboration – collaborating more to realise shared language revitalisation aspirations.
- Naturalisation – hearing our language everywhere by expanding immersion language domains.
- Acceleration – increasing proficiency and confidence by championing innovative language learning strategies.
- increased understanding of the benefits of language planning.
- more active language plans in place
- more collaboration around promotion, planning and providing opportunities for language planning and activities
- more opportunities to accelerate engagement through language learning and language awareness
- more iwi, hapū, marae, whānau and community-based opportunities to learn te reo
- strong language champions and role models are identified and supported
- increased usage within homes, marae and communities
- increased immersion setting and activities – iwi, marae, whānau, kaupapa
- increased access to, including generation-targeted and reo ā-iwi focused, resources and learning opportunities
Click here to download the full investment plan as a PDF.
The Te Waipounamu Investment plan is aimed at all uri of all the iwi listed below:
- Te Āti Awa (South Island)
- Ngāti Kōata
- Ngāti Kuia
- Ngāti Mutunga (Chatham Islands)
- Rangitāne (South Island)
- Ngāti Rārua
- Ngāi Tahu/Kāi Tahu
- Ngāti Tama (South Island)
- Ngāti Toa Rangatira (South Island)
- Ngāti Apa ki Te Rā Tō
Pae Motuhake, representing iwi and Māori interests, develop the investment plan and key priorities for each Kāhui and make recommendations to the Board of Te Mātāwai for approval.
Te Pae Motuhake o Te Waipounamu:
- Paulette Tamati Elliffe (Appointed Board Member)
- Te Ahu Rei (Ngāti Tama ki Te Tauihu)
- Harata Lynne Te Aika (Ngāi Tahu)
- Kiwa Hammond (Moriori)
- Nuki Takao (Ngāti Rārua)
- Dina Kahaiali’I (Ngāi Tahu)
- Janis de Thierry (Rangitāne o Wairau)
- Ward Kamo (Ngāti Mutunga o Wharekauri)
Te Pae Motuhake Role
Provide leadership of the Māori language at a local level
Determine language revitalisation needs
Utilise research to inform decisions
Inform and influence Te Mātāwai Board
Develop annual investment plans
Recommend recipients of investment support
Projects we've supported from 2022-2021
|Te kaupapa:||Whāinga matua:||Whiwhinga:|
|Hōtaka Hararei mō kā Tamariki||Kura Reo||$14,160|
|Kia Kūrapa ki Koukourarata||Kura Reo||$16,115|
|Kia Kūrapa ki Waihao||Reo Classes||$13,380|
|Te Hao o Tapuiti||Reo Classes||$17,550|
|Te Pātaka Reo o Huikai||Reo Classes||$28,900|
|Tukuna te reo kia rere!||Reo Classes||$15,000|
|Tukuna te reo kia Māori||Language Planning||$10,000|
|Kākahu o Kurahaupō||Resource Production||$35,000|
|Ngāti Kuia Weekend||Resource Production||$10,000|
|Huriawa Karamea||Language Planning||$26,420|
|Kia Tipu Te Reo o Tuo||Resource Production||$19,000|
|Te Reo Hapori ki Te Tai Poutini||Language Planning||$56,660|
|Te Tai Tonga Reo Summit||Wānanga||$205,000|
|He kupu, he kōrero||Resource Production||$35,000|
|He Matapihi nō mua a Ngāti Mutunga o Wharekauri||Wānanga||$150,000|
|Reo Rautaki o Rārua||Wānanga||$75,000|
|To Maatou Haerenga hou!||Wānanga||$30,000|
|Ngārahu o Te Ahikāroa||Wānanga||$100,000|
|Kura Reo Mō Te Whānau Tahi||Wānanga||$30,000|
|Kia Puāwai Tō Reo||Wānanga||$60,000|
|Te Reo o te Taiao||Wānanga||$40,000|
|He Taonga te Kaumātua||Wānanga||$35,000|
|Pou Reo o Ngāi Te Ruakihikihi ki Taumutu||Wānanga||$60,000|
|Tuahiwi Marae||Language Planning||$48,000|
Do you have a project that fits the Te Waipounamu investment plan?
You must register to become a registered provider before you apply for investment here(external link).
Registrations open 1 December 2021 - 31 January 2022
Applications open 1 January 2022 - 28 February 2022